Sunday, May 22, 2011

Statue of Liberty in Photos


The ferry was only $13 for both Lady Liberty and Ellis Island. We got our tickets in advance; stand-by was a two and a half hour wait. We then went through airport-styled security before we boarded the ferry.




This plucky little schooner even made the foreigners smile. I rode over with Dr. J, Ted, and two other girls. Marcus was already on the island waiting for us. He said he fell asleep on a bench for 45 minutes and said it was the best nap he has had in a long time because of the ocean breeze.




This is only the very bottom of Manhattan Island. Notice how the once two prominent towers are missing. Ground Zero was really something. We walked by and saw the building that they are constructing for the memorial. The design looks rather nice.




A different view of the landing.




Lady Liberty herself.




Lady and the Tramp.




My pals. Where's Carrie?




Found her.




Leaning leading Lady.




The detail on the statue gave me a new found respect for those who built it. Come to think of it, this is the nicest thing the French have ever done for us.




You initially come up behind her. As you get closer, you realize how big it actually is. At first it looks smaller than you imagined. But once you're closer, it looks more and more massize. And it's a statue. It's not like its a geometric thing, but it has folds, fingers and features. It's just staggering.




It's just pretty, very pretty.




July 4, 1776




The base was paid for by donations from the people of New York City. The star-shaped stone platform under the base is an old fort that once protected the harbor.




It was worth it.




Ellis Island. (This image originally had three sky scrapers from West New York in it. I love Photoshop.)




My great-grandma on my Dad's Mom's side came over from Czechoslovakia. She was 15 and her name was Julianna Dzmura. Dzmura - how gypsy can you get!




The exhibits were well done. (Not medium rare.)




This is the main room where people used to sit and wait for their names to be called.




Marcus and Leesa reading some names.




The balcony around the main room.




I love the tiled ceiling.




Temporary lodgings.




I had a sinking feeling while taking this photo. I don't know why.




The detail on the outside was brilliant. They don't make 'em like this anymore. Very cool.




Marcus on the way home. The water is really that color. I always have a desire to jump off of moving boats, but this color made me think more than twice.




This was after we got back into the city, but I just thought the reflection was really, really cool. I love walking down the streets and seeing reflections of light and color among the glass-lined chasms of Park and Lexington. This happened to be right next to Grand Central Station and Bryant Park.

4 comments:

  1. The corn sauce is literally dripping off this post, love it! "Lady and the Tramp" was my favorite. Well done chap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I thought to myself, "If there are two people who would appreciate that humor, they are 1. my dad and 2. you." I'm glad both read this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than the photo of myself impersonating a shrew, your photography is AMAZING, Steve. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing to see the New york city through your photographic eyes, thanks for wonderful post friend.

    Defensive Driving Course NY

    ReplyDelete