Monday, May 16, 2011

Rain



I have a compact umbrella for easy transport, and this little thing was truly "givin' 'er all she's got, cap'n." Though Scotty had faith, I was convinced the fabric top was going to be ripped from it's aluminum bones. I don't know if a golf umbrella would have been better or if it would have given the wind a bigger target to aim for. Either way, my little protective companion lived to fight another day, but don't tell it, it has to fight tomorrow. See that 90% chance. It's asleep right now in the little sleeping bag that came with it. I'll break the news in the morning; no sense worrying it now.

The rain came down in sheets. Thankfully the torrents ceased before I left work, but this morning it was so strong. I stood for a moment and peered out the floor-to-ceiling window in an empty office on our floor. Being 28 stories up gives you a different perspective, because you can see the mass of water that is falling down to the ground. Instead of looking up at clouds, you are looking toward the targets of scurrying umbrellas below. It's like the old movies of the bombing raids over London in WWII where the camera was looking out the bottom of the plane to the falling death, but instead of fire and death, the drifting cumulus covers unleash liquid ammunition hopefully bringing life to Central Park and the thousands of sidewalk trees that call The Island home.

Well, I guess it may bring death to hairstyles and the creations of Christian Louboutin. But people deserve it if they wear those in that.

Today I got home a little after seven, but I realized on the train that I should enjoy all of this and soak it up because I may not be here forever.



F. Scott put it nicely...

"I...like New York, the racy, adventurous feel of it at night and the satisfaction that the constant flicker of men and women and machines gives to the restless eye."

It really is something else, but I feel the most grateful for the financial opportunities this unpaid internship is providing. Experience is the dinero and tomorrow is another day.

Though the wind may blow and the waves fall, I will venture the storm in search of the little green light at the end of that far off financial dock - running faster, stretching farther - boat against the current for that one fine morning.

2 comments:

  1. 1) I feel JUST like that umbrella.
    2) Don't dis on the Louboutins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. F. Scott is my homeboy. AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete