Monday, May 2, 2011

Day One: 750 Seventh

The subway reminds me of a Disneyland where Walt put it underground and fired the cleaning crew. Turnstiles, lines and eventful rides. I actually enjoy it. It's a great place for watching people. I happened to meet a retired cop who covered Times Square in the 80s with all the pimps and prostitutes. He said those were eventful days.



I stopped at the glittery steps of the Sephora on 42nd. The first thing I saw was a giant advertisement of Lady Gaga with fireworks coming out of her breasts. Hmm.

But then everything is like that. Walking down the street is like walking in between a cage fight where the cage is neon and plastic and the fighters are marketers. Everything is shouting at you for attention. Its fun to look at, but when your in a hurry you get tired of the people taking pictures right in the middle of the sidewalk. Through the visual noise I pay attention to two things...
1. Cops
2. Cars (The yellow ones don't stop.)



My building is all glass. It's rather stunning. I passed through security and went up to the 28th floor to Goodman Media International, a media pitching agency with moxy. I love the staff and enjoy the work.



The corner room conference room overlooks the hustle and bustle. It's kind of amazing. I'm used to the currents of the Pacific and the grandeur of the Wasatch front, but here I gaze 28 floors down to currents of yellow cabs and tourists. And below I'm dwarfed by the fronts of man made mountains of steel and concrete. It's all rather breath taking.

Wouldn't you agree?


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've taken your first bite out of the big apple!

    Let me know when you're ready for me to tell you where to get the best Manhattan burger. It's in a place that is hidden from the public, but is public. (No lie). Juicy, yummy, over-priced, and the place is actually referred to as a "Burger joint." Hancut fries, homemade shakes...and very off-beat.

    Deli must come first though--it's New YORK!

    ReplyDelete